Thursday, April 24, 2014

Passion for Fashion: Meet Designer Peng Zhang


Olivier Peng Zhang of O.Z. (his eponymous label) hails from China and is completely self-taught...no art school or design education ...but who would know? He has only had a name for his fashion line in the last few months...taking part in the AFW finale was the impetus to create a label...WOOT!

Zhang came to the U.S. to work on an mechanical engineering degree at OSU but fairly quickly found out his passion for fashion was really where his future lay. He feels that fashion chose him rather than the other way around!

His clean and minimalistic design aesthetic is perfect for those who prefer simple but fun fashion that combines different materials and colors. 




Those who want to look chic while buying one piece that goes with everything are gonna
be wowed by his designs.





Q&A
What inspires your creations?
My surroundings, including colors and funny materials

Who is/are your favorite designer(s)?
My favorite designers are Raf Simons and Phoebe Phillo.

Are your fashions available locally or online?
I will be selling my stuff soon on my partner’s website: www.fashionmomo.com.

Are you inspired at all by your Asian culture?  Do any of your designs incorporate Chinese styles or is it mostly just inspired by simple lines?
Undeniably, Asian culture is a huge part of who I am but I never like to source my inspiration to a specific culture context. I love something that is more universal like shapes and colors.  There is something very tasteful and ravishing about a sharp, clean line and that is where I want to explore with my collection.

What is your fashion nightmare...what fashion do you absolutely HATE?
I loathe anything that resembles something out of cheap costume shop. It also gives me physical pain when I see a design that is too cluttered and poorly executed. I don’t have anything against costumes but they should be costumes, not every day clothing!

How long have you been designing?
Designing to me is a very personal experience it’s really hard to put a time frame on it. It is something I have liked to do since I was a child. I guess what I am saying is that my creativity is always the safe place for me to go when I am feeling down. Fortunately, AFM gave me the opportunity to share my vision with the pubic. Although I just showed 3 pieces to apply to the show, I felt so blessed to see positive reactions to my designs. I hope with my participation in AFW finale, more people can learn about my designs and that will help me launch a fashion line.

What is your favorite piece of clothing to wear?
A white T-shirt and denim jackets ;-) - they are truly my closet staples .  


Contact for readers:
FACEBOOK: PENG ZHANG  (https://www.facebook.com/nathan.zhang.100)

~ Vicki Oster
http://loveohiocraftersandartisans.wordpress.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/paperpiecesbyvicki

No comments:

Post a Comment