Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Feminine + Vintage : Meet Designer Betsy Stevenson

Photography by Staley Cook for Staley Design

Elizabeth Ashleigh Designs, created by the talented Betsy Stevenson, was started in 2004 as an alterations and custom clothing business. Betsy still does alterations, but now she specializes in custom dressmaking, vintage restyling, and ready-to-wear.

Betsy designs for the woman who appreciates a couture quality garment with style. For the fashionista who doesn't want to see anyone else in her look! 

Photography by Staley Cook for Staley Designs


Betsy is inspired by everything in her world, but lately she's been really inspired by her customers. I want to bring them ready-to-wear at an affordable price, quality pieces in limited runs, and the option of personalizing details of each garment. I believe that clothing should be as unique as its wearer


Betsy has a Bachelor's degree from The Ohio State University, majoring in Textiles and Clothing. She also studied at a fashion school in London, England, for a semester and worked as an apprentice dressmaker during college. She has expanded her skills post-grad by attending several workshop series, including pattern-making, draping and couture sewing.  

Matt Reese, Photographer

Q&A
Give us the low-down on how you got involved with AFM
I participated last year, and had a blast!  I've been working with mobster Jefferey Steele for years now, collaborating for photo shoots, fashion shows, etc. I met Kelli Martin on set for a photo shoot a few years ago. These guys are always fun to work with and the creative energy when we all get together is insane! I'm looking forward to an amazing show again this year and big things in the near future!


Have you shown anywhere else recently?
I showed a collection at PLITZ Fall 2013 NYFW. 


What sets you apart from other designers?
I prefer to make clothing on a customized basis, a one-of-a-kind garment for an individual customer. I'm a perfectionist and love to spend many hours on one detailed garment instead of cranking out lots of the same style. I also prefer higher end materials...polyester and glue make me cringe!!!

Sen Bai, Photographer
Tell us a fun fact about designing.
I absolutely LOVE my job and can't imagine doing anything else for a living!  I'm glad there are people here in Columbus who appreciate handmade clothing, and that the creative community here is amazing and so supportive of each other.

Matt Reese, Photographer


What is your fashion nightmare?
Ill-fitting garments! I hate seeing people out with pant hems dragging on the ground, or strapless dresses that are way too big in the bust. I have to fight the urge to run up to them with my business card and say "Call me, I won't let this happen to you again!" A bit of tailoring can make even the thriftiest garment look like a million bucks.

Who is your favorite designer from past eras (since you do lots of vintage)?
Coco Chanel- I love her story, and her classic style!



Contact info for readers:

740.412.2711 

~ Vicki Oster
http://loveohiocraftersandartisans.wordpress.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/paperpiecesbyvicki



No comments:

Post a Comment