Thursday, April 17, 2014

Meet Avante Garde Designer: Esther Myong Hall of Torn Angel


Because she loved last year's event and all of the great folks involved in it, Esther Myong Hall, Torn Angel, is returning to the AFW Finale this year with her avant-garde line of fashion ...yay! A graduate of The School of The Art Institute of Chicago (BFA with a focus in Fashion and Sculpture) and native of Upper Arlington, she started her line in 2008. 


What I do is Avant-Garde, fashion outside of the box and experimental, where I view it more as a form of sculpture than just clothing. I design for people that appreciate the arts and are adventurous. Typically my clients are older (such as the Advanced Style ladies) with many stories about their grand travels (in their) lifetime. 

She has also begun spinning her own yarn and lace tatting and adding these to her fashions...hmmm, I wonder what that means for her collection this year??? I can't wait to see!





Q&A:



What is your favorite piece of clothing in your closet? 

My favorite piece of clothing in my closet right now is a t-shirt that says "polite as fuck."


What is your fashion nightmare? 
That the 90's and 80's trends never go away.




What is your favorite fashion decade? Why? 

The 1920's, because that is when women's sportswear and comfort for clothing were finally being addressed by society. They also had amazing new artists emerging and the trends of simple shapes with luxurious draping or embellishment were formed. It was really a no-nonsense era of high fashion.



What is your go-to accessory? 

My Vivienne Westwood winged red rocking horse shoes.




If you could live in any era based on fashion, what would it be?

I wouldn't want to live backwards at all. I'm perfectly happy with where we are now. I can period dress to whatever I want and yet still be experimental without too many hang-ups on what society would think. We currently live in a fantastic age for fashion.





~~Vicki Oster
http://loveohiocraftersandartisans.wordpress.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/paperpiecesbyvicki


Contact info for readers: 
torn.angel.design@gmail.com
www.etsy.com/shop/TornAngel

No comments:

Post a Comment