Friday, April 18, 2014

Meet a Girl of Substance: Designer Katelyn McClain of Katelyn McClain Designs


Vinh Vu, photographer
Assistant Designer at Substance, Katelyn Mary McClain, will be joining us again at this year's AFW.  A Columbus native and graduate of Kent State in 2012 with a degree in Fashion Design and Merchandising, Katelyn founded her label, Katelyn McClain Designs, immediately after last year's finale so she could begin selling her pieces at Substance. Inspiration for her collections comes from everywhere.  As she sums it up:


My last collection was mostly inspired by my Native American and Irish heritage. I always seem to have a Romantic, tribal & sustainable vibe-- what I design is always romanticized fashion with a bohemian tribal feel. Draping, textures, prints and bead work enhance the tailored garments. I focus on sustainable pieces using organic and recyclable materials and natural dyes.

Vinh Vu, Photographer
Her collection for this year's finale will have a somewhat different theme using scraps she has saved over the years to create patchworks and mixed designs, referencing Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas as her muse. She will also be incorporating knitting and hand loom work in this collection after spending the winter honing her skills.

Sasha Bohn, Photographer
Maddie Etter, Model
Q & A:
Upcoming events besides AFW?
I'm in the process of being a part of an Anime Convention at the end of March (http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/). The person who wins the costume contest will win a consultation with me and my expertise in fashion. It sounds really neat, and I'm a huge nerd. I may also be showing a few looks for a fashion show at Capital University and hope to do some festivals/shows this summer/fall.

Sasha Bohn, Photographer
Maddie Etter, Model
What's your favorite piece of clothing in your closet?
There are far too many things in my closet to have just one favorite thing, it's kind of ridiculous how many clothes and accessories I have. 
What's your go-to accessory?
A scarf... I have a bunch of scarfs, and yes, I wear them in the middle of summer. They help to protect me from the sun, because I am extremely pale and burn so easily.
What is your fashion nightmare?
I really don't like when girls wear shorts and tights together, I just don't get it. I have seen it done right though, and sometimes it is cute. But it is just too much, tights are uncomfortable enough under a dress or skirt! ...add the shorts, too much, you need to air that vent out. Wear pants.. 
What is your favorite fashion trend now?
I love that fringe is such a big deal right now cause it's so fantastic and fun. The bigger and more ridiculous the better!
What trend would you like to see go away forever?
I can't say that I absolutely hate any one trend enough for it to be banished forever BUT I would really appreciate it if girls would stop wearing tights as pants. If you MUST at least wear a long enough top/dress to cover your ass and camel toe. NOBODY wants to see that!!!!

~~Vicki Oster
http://loveohiocraftersandartisans.wordpress.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/paperpiecesbyvicki


Contact for readers:
 katelynm@shopsubstance.com 
 kmcclai6@kent.edu
 or stop in and see her at Substance!

1 comment: