Thursday, April 24, 2014

Fashion Plus Much More: Meet Brandee Bailous of House of Baboski

3 The Hard Way Media, Photography

Meet Columbus native Brandee Bailous of the House of Baboski (previously Baboski Fashions), who is new to the AFW this year. Her granny was the impetus for her dive into fashion, teaching her at a young age how to sew and use patterns. The fashionista bloomed from there a one year stint at Centenary College in NJ for fashion design and merchandising followed by training at the Ohio State Schools of Cosmetology.

Creativity is a way of life for her 24/7, hearing colors and seeing patterns and letting them flow out onto her mannequin...she very seldom sketches!



Specializing in plus size clothing, Brandee has found her niche creating designs for confident, willing-to-take-a-risk kind of people...everyday folks who want some pizzazz in their look. Inspired by nature and music, she believes that natural designs flow and calm her clientele. Although she is designing mostly for women she does also create menswear. 

Suitable Photography

Selling her clothing at Royal Factory, a boutique in the Short North, is how she got connected to the AFM gang. As she puts it: I felt that this was a great opportunity to give designers and models a shot who aren't considered mainstream. It gives us "crazy/weird" designers and models a platform to showcase our talents.

Suitable Photography

Last year this talented lady won 2013 POSED Fashion Awards Best Plus Size Designer and Best Plus Size Runway Model!! You go, girl!!!! And, in addition to the AFW Finale in April, she will be showing her pieces at the Great Lakes Fashion Showcase in Cleveland, The Full Figured Fashion Weekend in Cincy, and will be participating in the RAW Artist event in June.

This is one busy fashionista!!!



Q&A
What sets you apart from other designers?
I am hands on. I do hair, make up, styling and I am a model, so I also do runway coaching. I also sew 100% of my designs with no team and no assistant.


What is your favorite piece of clothing to wear?
My favorite piece of clothing surprisingly is a pair a sweat pants or lounge pants. I like to be comfortable. Lol. Sometimes I dress like a hobo, but when I clean up I get red carpet ready. 

If you could pick a rock/punk/rap/blues star for a muse who would that be?
I would pick Prince. I feel he is a mix of all those genres. His style of hair, music, and clothing is timeless that's why his career is so long lived. 

What fashion would you not be caught dead in??
I'm not really sure what I wouldn't be caught dead in. I'm a risk taker when it comes to fashion. I like to mix textures, patterns, prints and especially decades.




Contact info for readers:
email: bigbaboski04_99@yahoo.com
ig: baboski0499
twitter: baboski04_99

www.phantumsphantastyapparel.com


~ Vicki Oster
http://loveohiocraftersandartisans.wordpress.com/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/paperpiecesbyvicki

No comments:

Post a Comment